20.10.2010 News and Analysis
- Obama mission: Billions to Pakistan, billions from India CHIDANAND RAJGHATTA The Obama admin is lining up at least $ 2 billion in fresh, new military aid to Pakistan even as it is lobbying for billions of dollars in defense sales to India ahead of the US President‘s visit to the region early November.
- Militants attack Chechen Parliament PTI Militants wearing suicide vests on Tuesday stormed and seized Parliament of Russia’s strife-torn Chechnya region, killing at least three policemen and injuring 17 others.
- UK PM announces military austerity plan TOI Britain will delay a program to upgrade its nuclear defenses, reduce the number of forces it can deploy on combat missions and cut thousands of troops in a sweeping overhaul of the country’s military, Prime Minister David Cameron said Tuesday.
- Headley unravels Mumbai Terror Plot HT What the Lashkar agent’s interrogation revealed about the Mumbai attack. Headley and ISI Central to 26/11Late in the evening of 26 November 2008, David Headley, a 48-year-old American living in Lahore, received a text from a man he knew as Sajjid, a senior LeT militant.
- The general is in Jail and Sri Lanka is at Peace. TOI An SMS found its way to me : “it’s good that Ram got some part of the land because Sita now has a travel agency, Laxman might retire after the Australia series, Ravan is a commercial flop and there is peace in Lanka.”
- US, Pakistan talks come at key time for Afghan war Dawn “Washington has signaled its patience is running thin with Pakistan’s reluctance to fight insurgents.”
- US takes up Pakistan military wish-list Dawn The US said it was in talks with Pakistan about new military assistance as part of a partnership against extremism.
- PM’s speech Dawn Clear lessons can be drawn from the latest near-upheaval in the country, if such incidents are to be avoided.
- Strategic dialogue Dawn The strategic dialogue was created as a forum where Pakistan and the US could exchange ideas and complaints.
- Iran doesn’t need nuclear weapons: Pakistan Dawn very intriguing and Pakistan does!!
- Petraeus rewrites the playbook in Afghanistan Washington Post Gen. David Petraeus appears to be making a strategic pivot in Afghanistan, supplementing his primary mission as military commander with the “warrior-statesman” role he had in Iraq, where he was able to fuse the political and military elements of the campaign.
- Obama wont give up Washington Post Watch the video
- Full text of Communique of the Fifth Plenum of the 17th CPC Central Committee Xinhua The Fifth Plenum of the 17th CPC Central Committee was held in Beijing from October 15 to 18, 2010. Present at the plenum were 202 members and 163 alternate members of the CPC Central Committee. Members of the Standing Committee of the CPC Central Commission for Discipline Inspection and leading officials of relevant departments attended the meeting as non-voting delegates. Some delegates to the 17th CPC National Congress, including a few from the grass roots and a few experts and scholars, also attended the meeting as non-voting delegates.
- Mumbai spy says he worked for terrorists – then briefed Pakistan (guardian.co.uk)
- David Headley reveals Pak’s role in 26/11 attacks (ibnlive.in.com)
- Report: Pakistan tied to Mumbai siege (washingtonpost.com)
- Pakistan intelligence services ‘aided Mumbai terror attacks’ (guardian.co.uk)
- US takes up Pakistan military wish-list (alternet.org)
- ISI chiefs aided Mumbai terror attacks: Headley (thehindu.com)
- When You’re Begging for Military Sales from India… (minx.cc)
- US, Pakistan to try again to mend ties (alternet.org)
- Opinion: Restoring the Tribal balance in Afghanistan (CNN)
Quote of the day